Tuesday, March 27, 2018

#horses - #Getting over fear after a fall


Getting over fear after a fall

r/horses, I need your collective wisdom! The mare I'm currently riding has always been a bit of a challenge, but I think to a certain extent that is good for a horse/rider. She is VERY heavy on the forehand, and is a big girl (18h) with big movement. I've been struggling with using more leg and softening my hand to help push her up into collection and get her off of her forehand, but have been making steady progress. Cue a few weeks ago, when she spooked at the canter and totally ducked out from under me by spinning out from under me with no warning. The last few weeks after the fall my lessons have ended with me crying and shutting down because I no longer trust her enough to let her have her head like she needs. Every time I try to release my hand more and use more leg, I feel like she is just so heavy on her forehand that she will just plow through me and I will lose control. Do any of you have advice on how to overcome fears after a fall and rebuild confidence? I'm so frustrated by this because I have always been such a confident rider, I don't know how to get over this and it is making me feel so incapable and like a terrible horse person. Does any one have tips on how to help get a horse off their forehand and not be constantly pulling on the rein? I have been doing things like small give/take and half halts, lots of bending/counter bending, lots of leg, transitions. I know I need to relax my own body and be soft with my hand so that she doesn't have anything to brace against, but I'm just so scared of letting go now. Please help me r/horses, you're my only hope! Context that may be important: sadly she is a lesson horse at my university, so I can't do much schooling other than my once a week lessons. I ride dressage.



Submitted March 27, 2018 at 10:54PM by sparkleypoopz
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/87p98e/getting_over_fear_after_a_fall/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment