Thursday, March 22, 2018

#horses - #Equestrians life problem: when your SO is unsupportive/resentful of your sport. Anybody experienced with this?


Equestrians life problem: when your SO is unsupportive/resentful of your sport. Anybody experienced with this?

We're pushing 30, known each other more than 15 years, in a committed relationship about 8 years. I was an equestrian when he found me and still am today.

I've re-entered the seriously competitive show circuit in the past couple of years and he resents the time I spend with my animals. He used to ride with me, but lost interest and has never had the desire to compete.

He's also a serious competitive online gamer and invests a lot of time into his sport as well. I have never been very good at video games but I play occasionally just to amuse him.

Used to he would at least ask how a show went, listen to my self critiques, review videos with me and give me feedback. I just got back from a major championship show. He never once asked me about it. Never asked to see pictures or video. Didn't wish me luck before I left. Didn't congratulate me when I got back.

I've been making dedicated effort to mark non-horse time to spend with him on his days off so we can get quality time in- going on adventures/ dates/ trips etc. half the time he doesn't want to go do anything with the marked off time I made for him... he'd rather "hang out at home" which means go eat somewhere, maybe watch some Netflix, and end up on his game.... which is hard for me because if he's going to just be on the game any way I could be training at the arena prepping for the next competition.

He's the love of my life, so those of you who want to jump to "ditch him and keep pursuing competitions", you're not going to be heard. I'm looking for real advice on managing this and working through it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a partner who doesn't care/doesn't like the horse habit. What has worked or not worked for you?



Submitted March 22, 2018 at 09:45AM by anotherbeastwithin
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/86chb9/equestrians_life_problem_when_your_so_is/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment