Saturday, February 3, 2018

#horses - #Horse/dog herd/pack: Can it work?


Horse/dog herd/pack: Can it work?

So, in planning for the future, I very much want to get a situation where I can have a horse, but I'm not so sure about getting two. Horses are social animals and don't do well without a companion. What I'm wondering though, is whether a dog could substitute as a companion.

Curiously, the breed I'm most interested in is the Arabian, and if I could pick a dog, it would be a Saluki. Both of these, coincidentally, are ancient breeds of their respective species that originated in the ancient Middle-East. Both are well known for their speed, endurance, elegance, and good nature. Both are clever and mischevious. I'm wondering if the predator/prey barrier would be too much to overcome by these two animals. Herds and packs are both hierarchical, but predators and prey have very different mind sets. Does anyone have any thoughts on how well horses and dogs can bond for companionship?

This video shows a saluki playing with horses. While the play seems to be reciprocal, I don't have enough information to tell whether the horse would just get annoyed at some point or if they would actually develop any kind of bond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKZxUZ5f18

Also, I found this incredibly cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWtyk_9xnJo



Submitted February 03, 2018 at 08:40PM by Recon-777
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/7v4e97/horsedog_herdpack_can_it_work/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment