Monday, January 22, 2018

#horses - #Solo farmer considering getting a small horse or pony as a companion and I have some questions...


Solo farmer considering getting a small horse or pony as a companion and I have some questions...

I'm 25, I recently inherited a small piece of land that I plan to turn into a farm for self-sufficient living. I've always loved horses and I see this as a great opportunity to get a small horse, that will be my friend and companion, the breeds that I was looking at are Shetland Ponies, Falabellas and American Miniature Horses, and I have some questions.

  • Can a horse be satisfied as just a companion? As a lifelong dog person, I know that there are some breeds of dog that are miserable as pets, even as well loved pets, without a job to do. The most "work" that I would ever need the horse to do is to help me transport light loads, like hay and vegetables but for the most part it will just be my friend, allowed to run around as it wants, come into the house and hopefully spend time with me.

  • Do I need more than one? I've read that horses don't do well alone, but it won't be alone, it will have my constant companionship and it will be around other animals, 2-4 goats, 1-2 dogs and chickens, does the companionship need to be with it's own kind?

  • What breed is best for what I'm looking for? I especially like Shetland Ponies, they seem to have perfect temperaments and are small enough to come inside, but Falabella and American Miniatures are also appealing.

  • Should I get a male or female horse?



Submitted January 22, 2018 at 02:36AM by Orvar-Oddr
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/7s4p11/solo_farmer_considering_getting_a_small_horse_or/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment