Friday, December 29, 2017

#horses - #Question about how leases work


Question about how leases work

Hi all! Excuse my naivete if this is a silly question. I'm a relatively new rider (been riding 1X a week for ~5 years as an adult), and recently my instructor asked if I'd be interested in a half-lease (on one of the riding school's horses)--she explained it would mean I'd have 2 lessons a week and preference to use the horse at shows, at $600 a month. I was so excited about the possibility, and at $600 it would be a little more than twice what I'm currently paying each month for lessons ($280), so it seemed pretty reasonable. I thought about it for a while, and love the horse they suggested for the half-lease and said I was interested.

One of the school owners then sent over the lease agreement, and in reading through it and subsequently clarifying with her, I realized I completely misunderstood how this would be set up--the lease would be $600 a month, but the payment for my 2 lessons a week would be separate ($560)...totaling to 4X more than what I'm currently paying, and definitely way outside my budget. I'm feeling pretty sheepish and embarrassed as I just had to turn it down because I just can't afford it. (I did ask though if I could move to lessons 2X a week, and hopefully get more of my riding fix that way.) I guess I'm a little bummed and embarrassed and wondering if this is generally how leases work with lesson/school horses, and would love any thoughts or advice for moving forward.

I think part of my confusion came from this information on the school's website (below), which made me think the lessons were included in the price of the lease, with payment for additional lessons at a discounted rate.

Leasing Your Next School Horse or Pony

Option 1: $500 2x a week (incl 1 lesson and 1 hack per week)

Option 2: $700 2x a week (incl 2 lessons per week)

Option 3: $850 3x a week (incl 2 lessons and 1 hack per week)

Option 4: $1000 3x a week (incl 3 lessons per week)

All additional lessons are at the Boarder rate



Submitted December 29, 2017 at 12:43PM by archie35th
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/7mwirt/question_about_how_leases_work/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment