Tuesday, December 19, 2017

#horses - #AQHA Five Panel Testing & Responsible Breeding: what is OK?


AQHA Five Panel Testing & Responsible Breeding: what is OK?

You guys were such a great source of opinions and input on my last post, that I wanted to start another discussion post.

I am in the market for my first horse. Primarily looking at AQHA & Appendix horses, where 5 panel testing is recommended and almost expected when buying/selling a registered AQHA. One of the first questions I ask when getting more info on the horse is for their 5 panel test results. If you aren't familiar with the 5 panel test, more info here: https://www.aqha.com/genetictesting

I recently test-drove a very nice western pleasure mare at a great price. They did not have her 5 panel tested, but said they did know that her HYPP was N/N (totally negative, and not a carrier). I left the meeting thinking that this was a horse I could certainly buy, high quality and good head on her. My trainer prompted me to continue to research her lineage before making any decisions.

I was able to get into contact with owner of the sire and asked for his 5 panel results-- N/N on everything EXCEPT HERDA: N/Hrd (meaning, he is a carrier). This would mean that the mare I was considering has a 50% chance of also being a carrier. I explained this to the trainer selling the mare, and she said she had never heard of HERDA. I digress.

I was also able to track down the owner of the mare's dam to ask the same question-- he said he had never bothered to have her tested, and that I needn't worry about the mare in question because "you will only use <name of horse> for riding not for breeding". Let me make it clear- I had only mentioned to him that I was interested in buying one of his dam's offspring (she has had multiple) and did not specify sex or name. So, he had some head's up that I might contact him. Hmm.

Lastly, the trainer selling the mare told me she contacted some "genetic expert" friends who said that I would never need to worry, and that if I ever wanted to breed her, I would just need to breed her to N/N stallions. Okay...

Beyond the fact that the sire & untested dam of this mare probably should not have been matched without testing (meaning the mare could also be a carrier of other conditions), we have owners casually suggesting that breeding carrier is no big deal (but they also wont have her 5 panel tested). This is a red flag to me and I won't be pursuing an offer on this horse. I know that I am probably making a bigger deal of it than I should, but still.

It does prompt the question: how do you feel about breeding horses that are carriers of some of these genes? Do you think it is ok to perpetuate carrier status, or do you believe that these genes should be bred out (i.e. never breed carriers)? Obviously a horse who is a carrier is unaffected, but I can't help but think that irresponsible breeding down the line could result in affected offspring. Just curious!



Submitted December 19, 2017 at 09:22AM by Wadyflamer
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/7kuaen/aqha_five_panel_testing_responsible_breeding_what/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment