Friday, September 15, 2017

#horses - #Should I report my old trainer for animal neglect?


Should I report my old trainer for animal neglect?

I graduated university a year ago, but sometimes I still think about the conditions of my university's equestrian team trainer.

I didn't realize how badly cared for her horses were until I trained with another trainer over the summer to prepare for the upcoming season.

First of all, the "paddocks" they're in are as small as your bedroom and just dirt. If you have a large bedroom, it's likely that she puts two horses per paddock. She keeps buying new, half-trained horses.

The horses that aren't a total mess to ride she overworks, and two died suddenly last year (I saw in FB).

Most of her horses will fight back at you if you try to tack them. They get growths/cysts/I don't remember what they're called for horses often. I remember one of the horses had a sore on the underside of her hoof, and was still being ridden the next day. We used to have to take them to the paddocks ourselves in the mornings, but so many horses bolted off on the girls (literally trying to escape) that we were no longer allowed to.

Their coats are dull, and almost all of her horses have gone sour. When I trained over the summer, my new trainer had acres and acres for her horses, with beautiful green grass. I helped her a lot over the summer, so I can say with certainty that she treats all of her horses very well. She wouldn't let me tack until their coats were beyond shining. Every horse she owned was very specifically cared for and well kept.

The stables my ex trainer at is very luxury for the area, except for the pathetic paddocks. Even in lessons, it doesn't seem like she really cares for the animal. We had a couple incredible riders quit the team because of how the horses were [not] trained/schooled and cared for.

I've been riding for a long time and have been to many facilities. This is the only one I've seen where I felt like there was neglect.

I'd probably let it go since I am not an /expert/ on horse care but I keep thinking about the neglect. I'm not even sure what I should do or if I should.

TL;DR: I think my trainer neglects her horses and doesn't deserve them. Should I report her for abuse? Where would I do that?



Submitted September 15, 2017 at 05:12AM by myums
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/7095q2/should_i_report_my_old_trainer_for_animal_neglect/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment