Thursday, May 11, 2017

#horses - #What's in your first aid kit?


What's in your first aid kit?

I have recently taken the position of Equine Manager at a local therapeutic riding facility. We currently have an 7-horse herd; 4 geldings, 3 mares). The management prior to me took an extremely natural and holistic approach to horse care. It's not that I'm closed off to holistic approaches and there certainly are some benefits, however it's hard for me to refute science.

I digress.

I looked into our equine first aid kid the other day looking for some SWAT and some antibiotic and found nothing in the kit except 3-year expired bacitracin. This sent me into a flurry/panic and, while I have some basic tools to put in:

-Hoof Pick, scissors, thermometer, flashlight, gloves, etc. etc. etc.

-Vet Wrap

-Gauze (roll and pads)

-Bute

-Triple antibiotic ointment

-SWAT

What else is your must-have in your equine first aid kit?

Being a non-profit, I'm trying to be budget conscious and not go over the top. As much as I would love a thermogram for detecting abscesses, etc. it's not in the budget.

Also, if anyone knows any companies who are willing to donate/reduce prices for non-profits please let me know!

Thanks in advance for your help!



Submitted May 11, 2017 at 03:05AM by LeahShine88
via reddit http://ift.tt/2pBUXYb

No comments :

Post a Comment