Wednesday, May 3, 2017

#horses - #Should slaughter houses open in the US? Please be respectful, I'm interested in an honest candid debate


Should slaughter houses open in the US? Please be respectful, I'm interested in an honest candid debate

I have had my own horses since I was 12 years old. I grew up riding and it's my #1 passion. I've gone so far as to work with equine vets as a tech, dentist, and equine massage therapist so I'm not someone out of touch with the horse world. I've gone back and forth on the topic of slaughter houses in the US over the years. After seeing the painful deaths horses suffered during the recession when owners could no longer afford them or find them a new home was a real eye opener. Then learning about the horrific conditions at the Mexican and Canadian slaughter houses that aren't well regulated made me change gears. I'm still on the fence, but since kill buyers aren't going anywhere, I support slaughter houses in the US solely because of the ability to create a humane process for horses in dire situations (I realize the state of current mass production of meat in the US is deplorable, but I'm being hopeful the horse community can ensure severe restrictions in the case of equine slaughter houses). At least this would provide a more humane option for people who can no longer afford their horses and can't find them a new home. What do you all think?



Submitted May 03, 2017 at 10:15AM by MissCarli
via reddit http://ift.tt/2qFvHQL

No comments :

Post a Comment