Tuesday, May 30, 2017

#horses - #Advice needed on leasing options for my gelding!!


Advice needed on leasing options for my gelding!!

Hi All - I have a 14yo TbXPaint who I've had since he was 3. I'm a PhD student and since I live in the city, he is ~1hr 10 mins from me. I can only get out 1-2 times a week (so weekends) but I don't think that is enough for him, especially with my qualifier and more heavy research coming up. I've half leased him in the past and it's worked really well, but my barn is a private barn and there aren't a lot of jumps and so it has limited me in who wants to lease from me due to the facility.

I had a 16yo girl come try him on Saturday and they went really nicely together. She rides under a well known USEA Area II Dressage judge, and he would be 30 minutes from me. However, the girl wants to ride 5 days a week, leaving me with only one day a week, and then his one day off. Also, board is $750, so if I split that for a "half lease", I wouldn't save much money.

The other option is moving him to a barn 45 mins from me, but board is more expensive by $100. But, they have 3/8 mile conditioning track, 2 jump fields, xc course, and a weekly lesson/training ride. Additionally, if I was permitted to lease him at that farm (they offer their own horses for lease so I don't know if I'd be competing with them) I'd save $250/month if I can find a half lease.

My concern is that with option #1, I won't really save any money, and I can't ride him "whenever I want", or lesson on him, or compete him, and I don't want him to be over jumped/over worked. But as a PhD student, not sure I would have time for all that riding anyways?

I'm seeing both farms on Sunday but am curious to hear from other horsey people about what they would do.



Submitted May 30, 2017 at 12:09PM by thispossumisawesome
via reddit http://ift.tt/2sizMv5

No comments :

Post a Comment