Monday, April 24, 2017

#horses - #I rehomed my horse and now she's a bucking terror. They want to sell her. WWYD?


I rehomed my horse and now she's a bucking terror. They want to sell her. WWYD?

I had this horse for years. She was great all through then, a good nanny type of mare that was practically bombproof and tolerant. She was also in a riding school with beginner riders on her, where the trainer had decades of experience and an amazing reputation. We never did anything big together, sadly; we did some 4-H shows and a little jumping, but mostly hacking out in pastures and roads. Other people did shows with her. I rehomed her due to feeling that I wasn't spending enough time with her, and I was looking at enlisting in the military. The new owner contacts me sparingly over the year saying this horse is bucking, crow hopping, a nervous wreck... I don't know what to say but do a vet check... she's never been that way. New owner sends me a video of the trainer riding her far behind the vertical and her stride is horribly short and choppy as if being pulled back and legged on at the same time. Her back is dropped. New owner is indignant about me offering to come ride to tune the horse up, accuses me at times of messing this horse up when I had owned her.

Now new owner wants to sell her and is sure the horse is too anxious and testy. Never would hear that about this horse, and I stay in touch with her old owners and riders. The new owner is loosely saying I could buy her back (I sold the mare on a contract stating I must be the first one offered the horse on the same conditions they will be selling her as to anyone else) but seems to be beating around the bush about it.

What would you do? The horse turns 18yo. Part of me says that if she truly is having these issues not from riding but on her own, then it is time to put her down or retire her. I have a bad feeling they are going to try to sell her for a high price when there's such a likelihood they either messed her up or she is due to be retired/PTS.



Submitted April 24, 2017 at 08:06AM by HeelsDownEyesUp
via reddit http://ift.tt/2oDXVem

No comments :

Post a Comment