Wednesday, March 1, 2017

#horses - #Spring Pasture maintenance Question


Spring Pasture maintenance Question

I didn't see this covered yet, so hopefully not an overdone topic!

So spring (or rather mud season) has sprung pretty early where I live (East coast USA). My pasture is also at incline, so as everything melts and flows downwards towards the run-in shelter so does some of their manure from the winter. What do you all do for maintence?

I've been shoveling it up, but I don't want to damage the emerging grass and create more mud. Also cleaning up the field has uncovered ice, and one of my horses is pretty old and I don't want to risk him slipping. Ideally I want to rotate them to a new field to let this one dry out and rest, but the fencing isn't set up, and wont be until the ground thaws.

Ideally I want to avoid as much mud as possible, clean up the field, and have nice healthy grass come up. Those of you who deal with the winter and thawing, how do you manage your fields?

TLDR: Spring thaw is causing a lot of mud, manure, and water buildup around the run-in and water tank area of my field- how do people here deal with their early spring pastures?



Submitted March 01, 2017 at 01:49PM by malatruskawka
via reddit http://ift.tt/2ldJAYg

No comments :

Post a Comment