Tuesday, March 21, 2017

#horses - #Horse Whisperer Insider


Horse Whisperer Insider

Here is the stuff no one tells you about this job, my job.

A little background..I am a top "natural horsemanship" trainer, number 1 in my country. I have done it for over 25 years, and am highly regarded in my industry. I always remain professional in every dealing I have with clients, and there are few problems I haven't been confronted with and fixed for people.

I constantly here the phrase, "what you do must be so rewarding", and for a long time it was. But I have to say, it has become something I hate.

Being a horse whisperer sucks. I am so sick of carrying the burden of fixing peoples problem horses. Again and again I am called out to someone who made a poor horse buying decision and want me to fix it quickly and cheaply.

They absolve themselves of any responsiblity for A. Buying a horse they can't handle, usually for way too much money. B. Rescuing a problem horse while having 0 horse experience. C. Ruining a young horse through poor handling. D. Paying someone else to ruin a young horse for them.

Then I get a call and all off a sudden the burden of fixing these bad horse decisions land on me. Most people don't even address an issue until the horse has hurt themselves or someone else. Then all of a sudden it is deemed a "problem".

Im so tired of people calling me up and asking me how to fix something dangerous and complicated because they don't want to pay to have me come fix it. When they do have me come, they complain about the price, they complain about having to learn a new way of doing things, they have excuse after excuse as to why I need to just fix it, because they don't have the time or energy to learn how to do it for themselves. Then 2 weeks later they are calling because the problem is returning because they were to lazy to do any of the things I told them to do.

I feel like I am running in circles. Horses are easy, people are stubborn, lazy, and egotistical. A horse is a mirror, and I can only do so much.

A horse whisperer is not a magician, as magical as it all seems. We can accomplish great things with horses fairly quickly, and people can and do ruin those things just as quickly. Our job is dangerous and stressful, as we take all the risk and burden of peoples poor horse decisions. People don't call until the problems are out if control, and it is one of the most frustrating situations ever.

I've grown to hate the thing I love, because of the people.

I hold a great amount of awe for some of the old time horsemen such as Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance, as they put up with this sort of bs for years.

I can't put this anywhere, not on facebook, not on my website, not anywhere, so it will go here, and hopefully by venting I can carry on, at least a bit longer.

Thank you for listening.



Submitted March 21, 2017 at 04:20AM by Glendalyn
via reddit http://ift.tt/2nZf41d

No comments :

Post a Comment