Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Thrush Buster - treating and preventing thrush in wet conditions?


Thrush Buster - treating and preventing thrush in wet conditions?

My clydesdale has his long white feathers which create an environment for thrush to thrive.

The other day my farrier shaved off some black fungus (from the toe area), but showed me that the hoof itself was still solid. I was extremely worried from seeing that notorious video where the guy takes off the ENTIRE HOOF. But there was a little chip that took advantage and made its way into the hoof a little bit.

My farrier is qualified and knowledgeable, so I want to believe him when he says the foot is fine. My guy hasn't shown any lameness (yet), and his hoof doesn't smell thrushy. Still, I'd like to prevent thrush from really taking advantage this spring in wet conditions.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the use of thrush buster, copper tone, or any other kind of caustic thrush treatment/preventative? Any battles with thrush or advice?

Another farrier friend at our riding club, Dave, grew up with Clydesdales and confirmed his feet looked good when he saw my horse late November. That was before the snow, but what Dave told me is that Clydesdales have interesting challenges unique to their massive, feathered feet. I keep being told "there's always going to be that little bit of thrush" basically higher risk than most horses.

Dan my farrier trims logging horses and show barn horses alike and is trusted in the area so I know his advice on my horses feet comes with experience. He says not to worry, and my horse has great feet.

Thanks!



Submitted February 08, 2017 at 09:28AM by Clydesdale-draft
via reddit http://ift.tt/2kmL91z

No comments :

Post a Comment