Friday, February 3, 2017

Lunging questions


Lunging questions

I have a few ongoing issues with my 15.2 Cob/TB. I've owned him for 8 years. I think he's always had a slight bucking issue when over excited, but he developed it quite badly after being send away for a weeks schooling. A vet said that they may have pulled something on his right side. The owner of the yard he is currently at has been lunging him, but now does not have the time. He's improved massively! He now occasionally bucks if he's in a bad mood. He used to "motorcycle" on both legs in a canter (lead in and go as fast as possible). Now his left hand canter is perfect, it is slow, collected and he turns great. However, on his right hand side the canter feels completely different and he can't turn. When we approach the end of the menage he tends to turn in far before the corner and will make a right angle or else essentially turn 180 degrees. I do try to yield him out with my right leg, but I don't get much of a result.

My main question is that with more lunging I think he could get better on the right side. However, I don't know how to slow down his right hand canter (without going into a trot), or how to stop him leaning in. I do have all the lunging equipment but he hates anything around his buttocks. I tend to just use a lunging whip and a long line.

I also have difficultly in getting him to go from a walk to a halt so I can turn him around. I find it a lot easier to just turn him whilst he's walking. The only way I can get him to stop is to push him to the corner, get closer to him, and put my whip out so it touches the fencing and acts as a barrier.

Any help would be appreciated.



Submitted February 03, 2017 at 04:43PM by littlefish_bigsea
via reddit http://ift.tt/2l6LOEr

No comments :

Post a Comment